Provincial Zakat Administration
Zakat & Ushr Department Punjab serves as Secretariat and administers the affairs relating to Zakat &Ushr in Punjab. Secretary Zakat & Ushr who is the in-charge of the department, performs the functions of Chief Administrator Zakat in the province.
Provincial Zakat Council
It is the highest forum in the Province to exercise general superintendence and control over matters relating to Zakat & Ushr particularly Zakat Fund and maintenance of accounts.The Punjab Zakat & Ushr Council consists of
- A chairman (who is not less than forty years of age, is a graduate, enjoys good reputation and has konwledge of Shariah;)
- Minister for Zakat & Ushr of the Government as co-chairman
- Eight persons including at least three women
- One menember of Provincial Assembly of the Punjab from each division to be nominated by Speaker including at least three women members
- The Secretary to the Provincial Government in the Finance Department
- The Secretary to the Provincial Government in the Social Welfare Department and
- The Secretary/Chief Administrator Zakat who shall also be the Secretary of the Council
Office of the Administrator Zakat & Ushr Punjab is a subordinate office of the secretary Zakat & Ushr Punjab, administers and control field setup like District Zakat Committees and Local Zakat Committees for disbursement of Zakat funds under different programs of Zakat.
Divisional set up consists of a Deputy Administrator Zakat (M&E) (BS 18) and its support staff at each divisional headquarter who conducts monitoring and Evaluation of the working of District Zakat Committees (DZCs), Local Zakat Committees (LZCs) and other institutions in receipt of Zakat funds in jurisdiction of the respective division.
District Zakat Committees
District Zakat Committees (one at each district) arrange release of Zakat fund at district level, and prepare and maintain accounts
Local Zakat Committees
Local Zakat Committees (generally one in each village, mohalla or a revenue unit) determine istehqaq of the applicant mustehqeen and arrange actual disbursement of Zakat money among mustehqeen (beneficiaries). They maintain accounts of the disbursement.